Supporting the Community
We are committed to creating long-term economic and community benefits through our operations. New Elk Mine has a large resource base in excess of 750 million tonnes of coal to provide for a potential mine life in excess of 50 years. The project is designed to be cost-competitive and therefore, resilient to coal market price volatility, making for stable and sustainable operations.
We believe in the importance of giving back to our local community as a responsible corporate citizen. Wherever possible, we hire locally – whether that is the people working at our mine or the many suppliers we will need to support our operations.
Economic benefits to local communities include:
Direct & Indirect Jobs
- 200 full-time equivalent jobs by 2023
- 150+ employees in contract services
Taxes & Revenues to Las Animas County and Colorado State
At full production, over 25 years:
- $566 million in salaries to employees
- $122 million in revenues for Colorado State & Severance taxes paid
- $180 million in royalties to the State of Colorado Wildlife
- $12 million in local district taxes paid
- $418 million in federal taxes paid
- $65 million in utilities paid
Right now, our focus is on recruiting and hiring our operating team. Once our mine is open we look forward to supporting our local community through donations, sponsorships and in-kind contributions.
Please stay tuned for updates.